Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Road Trip! Corn Mazes and Barnstormin' - hope you packed the Depends

(A little incontinence humor makes it a good pre-holiday Friday...)

Dear GGAs -

I am about to embark on a short Labor Day trek. I cannot tell you my whereabouts because I am going under cover with John Brook - I mean, Biff. ;)

I promise to blog all about it upon my return. Suffice it to say I will not be enjoying any of the following: homemade doughnuts/breads/cookies, apple dumplings, steel cut oats. Alas, such is the fate of my gluten intolerance. There will be plenty of bacon and omelets to go around so at least I have the Atkins smorgasbord to look forward to!

In preparing for this trip, I have some helpful hints to all you newbie IBSers!

*Be honest with your travel companions. If you're going with a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend, chances are they already know about your, um, condition. If they don't, there's no time like the present to tell 'em! After all, you can't really hide a bout of explosive diarrhea when you're sharing a hotel room or - saints preserve you - tent with someone. No need to detail your medical history; be short and sweet. "Hello, my name is GG and I suffer from IBS so I'm really going to tread lightly on this trip." You know, it's not like they can't enjoy stuffing their faces with their usual fare. You won't freak out if they eat a double cheeseburger in front of you, right? Heck no! Because you're a woman in control and you know and love your body, whether it rejects processed meat and gluten or not!

*Never leave home unprepared for disaster. Think of your weakest moment thus far and bring a remedy kit with everything you think you'll need to patch yourself up and have a good time, despite the bump in the road/kink in the intestines. My kit includes Benefiber single serving packets (just add water!), Tums, Pepcid, Bentyl (though I hate it so - it does admittedly stop the Hershey squirts) and yogurt. Yes, I travel with ice packs and coolers. Is it practical? Not terribly but if it works, it works. I also recommend taking road-friendly snacks like apples, bananas, and trail mix so you aren't forced to seek sustenance at IBS-unfriendly rest stops.

*Do your research beforehand. Make sure you check with the hotel to see if they have a fridge in the room. You can bring your own supplies this way, or buy them locally. Scope out the area to see what stores are nearby and try to stick to your typical diet of 'safe foods.' If you eat yogurt every day, buy some and keep it in your room. If you have special beverages that calm your system, bring them!

*Don't tempt the bowel gods. I completely understand the desire to eat locally, sample the cultural food and beverage offerings, etc. but be REALISTIC. Don't push your system to the limit all in the name of vacation. You will live to regret it, I assure you. If you *do* feel tempted by the funnel cake at the local fair, at least bring your emergency kit with you and for the love of the Dutch, split it with someone who's looking out for you and knows what aftershocks may come from ingesting the crispy golden doughy fried delight. (Just don't write me complaining. I don't want to hear it. I've had my own dairy disaster, thanks. So not worth it.)

*Think positively, take it one day at a time. So you feel good today? That's great. See above and keep your head in the present. Don't stress about tomorrow and 'what-ifs.' Keep your routine up! Go for that 3 mile walk or run each morning, don't write it off just because you're not at home. If you're able to minimize variables, chances are you will have nothing but pleasant memories of your getaway with friends and loved ones.

Hope this offers a bit of perspective! Now I'm off pack my bonnet and shit-kickers...

Regularly yours (for 48 hours!),
GG

No comments:

Post a Comment